[VHFcontesting] re: captive rovers

W0eea at aol.com W0eea at aol.com
Tue Jul 29 09:35:47 EDT 2003

>> General Rules for ARRL Contests on Bands Above 50 MHz
>>
>> 2.3.5.All Rovers are encouraged to adopt operating practices that allow as

>> many stations as possible to contact them.

>Ah - I remember that rule.  I think perhaps I was on the CAC when it was
>adopted.
>
>It was a tough rule to write - how do you enforce it?

You write a new rule based upon an arbitrary percentage of the contacts in
the rover's log that can be made with any one station.  To me that is 49%.  If
half or more of the contacts in a rover's log are with one station he isn't
trying hard enough to work other people.

(Yes I understand it could still be abused unless the rule was written and
applied on a QSOs per band basis.)

(BTW such a rule would also have prevented abuse of rover squared type
operation - the rules wouldn't have had to be rewritten - but that's another
argument completely. )

73,

Jim
w0eea at aol.com