[VHFcontesting] Activating rare grids

Mike (KA5CVH) Urich ka5cvh at ka5cvh.com
Tue Jul 29 18:49:14 EDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "ke3ht" <ke3ht at lmrgroup.com>

I have received help from W2SZ people as well as Rochester and K8GP people.
They all seem to work hard at helping rovers get better stations. Just
because W2SZ and K8GP seem to be the top two does not mean you can't start
your own activity levels in your area. Elmer more rovers! They will help you
back AND the hobby in the process. My station still has loaned equipment
from Rochester, PA and W2SZ guys. I have loaner stuff from hams in 6 states!

Instead of complaining why doesn't everybody help a new rover get started?

Mike wrote

I think there are many aspects to V/UHF contesting and it would appear that
many are hung up on total points as a method to qualify/quantify ones
standing in the contest.  Who cares if some mega station works the same
rovers over and over and OVER _AGAIN_?

Living in Texas I'm trying to build my mobile / portable set up for
activating rare grids.  I was toying with the idea of operating from DL79
for the Sept contest but its just plain to darn hot this time of year.
Right now my agenda is to add 222 MHz to my FT-736, get amps for
50/144/222/432, build a tower trailer similar to
http://www.ka5cvh.com/vhf/trrt/rover12.jpg new yagi's (even if home-brew)
for 50/144/222/432, a rotor, LMR-400 (lots of it) a used pick up with camper
shell similar to http://www.pickuptruck.com/IMAGES/history/10-1.gif   I have
even drawn up some sketch's of a 8'X20' trailer that could be pulled behind
any 3/4 ton pickup that would have a two position radio station,
kitchenette, chem toilet & 2 bunk beds.  The trailer would also be equipped
air conditioning and a tilt-over / crank up tower on the roof :-)

That being said ... does anyone keep a list of "the most rare grids" in the
US, CA and MX?

Mike Urich, KA5CVH
www.ka5cvh.com
http://www.ka5cvh.com/vhf/vhfindex.htm