[VHFcontesting] captive rovers = Red Herring

Spederson spederson at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 29 23:40:49 EDT 2003

----- Original Message -----

> OTOH, if a rover station happens by who could work me and just refuses,
> that's not very sporting and not in the spirit of the contest.  I would
> call THAT something else than "competitive".

You know, I thought we covered this whole thread a few months ago, and that
the concept of a "captive rover" was based on one person'e experience where
the other station refused a contact (on his own submission) that he was
having equipment problems?

The biggest reason I enjoy roving is that I live in a deed-restricted
community, and can't put up antennas.  Roving allows me to get on and be
active.  In my quest to learn more about rovering, I've contacted a LOT of
other rovers I've met on this and other reflectors.  I have yet to meet one
who's goal was to be captive.  Everyone I've talked to has been very
supportive, and encouraged me to keep improving my station. My guess is, if
the Captive rover does exist, they are in the extreme minority.  I just wish
we had 10,000 rovers on the air.

Drive On!

73,
Scott - KI5DR