[VHFcontesting] Rovers borrowing equipment

Bill Burgess braillist at sympatico.ca
Thu Jul 31 10:35:22 EDT 2003

Greetings all,

There seems to be an assumption that rovers almost always borrow equipment from others whom they will then favour in contesting.  Until this thread started I was unaware of any of this happening.  As a ham who has been a rover three times thus far, I will clarify my position.

I have always used only my own equipment, with the exception of the last contest, CQ where I borrowed a 706 from a ham owning 3 of them who has never contested nor does he own any beams, vhf or otherwise.  He is the club president of the Northshore ARC who uses these extra rigs for club events, contesting not being a part of this club.  My reason for borrowing is because my 2 meter gear is dead and I have yet to replace it.  But in borrowing, I now know definitely that this is not the rig for me for contesting.

The contesting club of which I am now President, the South Pickering ARC does not presently involve itsself in more than Field Day as a club event but this may change as I love contesting and would like to challenge other clubs to create more activity on the bands and contests too.

Rovers here in VE3 land are few and far between, and I am not aware of any Big Guns as you call them who would participate in rover favours.  I have never been approached to do this.

I communicate with everyone I hear and can identify and will not change this.  I have more gear awaiting hookup and testing including DEM   1296 gear that I just bought.

Hope to meet all of you on all of the bands I can operate on.  Enjoy the UHF contest this weekend and wish I could join you there.

73 de

Bill

VE3CRU at rac.ca

Email: braillist at sympatico.ca