[VHFcontesting] CW ops, pse qrs when contesting

Rogers, Ron RR124640 at Exchange.AtlantaGA.NCR.com
Thu Jul 31 16:23:30 EDT 2003

Absolutely......we have the W9ICE CW "CQ Boxes" running at about 15 - 18 WPM
consistently, but we have also programmed the CQ message specifically to
make it easier to copy by slower CW operators. The way we do it is by
programming in extra delay between the W - 9 - I - C - E characters and
repeating the callsign 6 times in one CQ loop. We've had a number of people
comment that it is so much easier to read that way out of the long distance
noise with rapid fading.

When we hear a slower station trying to answer our operators always shift
gears down to match their sending speed.

We will always go as slow as you want...........

Ron
-WB8ERB-

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew T. Flowers, K0SM [mailto:flowersa at alltel.net]
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2003 2:29 PM
Cc: vhfcontesting at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] CW ops, pse qrs when contesting

For those of you how are a little shakey on the code, don't hesitate to
call a station that is sending much faster than you.  Any good op will
slow down to match your speed.  If not, all you have to do is send "PSE
QRS" until he/she figures it out.  I know there are several "no-coders"
around here who have learned the value of CW on the microwaves, so do
your best to make it a positive learning experience for them!!  And as
always, don't hesititate to call a SSB station on CW if they can't hear you.

Andy K0SM/2

Bill Burgess wrote:

>Greetings all,
>
>I am willing to work both ssb and cw in contesting.  But if a cw operator
goes so fast I cannot identify the call it is hard to work him.  Likewise, I
have found a few who would not qrs when requested and thus a contact was
lost.  My code speed was much better from 1958 to 1968 than it is now and I
hope to improve it so I can keep up to you.  Meantime, please qrs if cw is
your preferred medium when you hear me calling you.