[VHFcontesting] Re: I still think 1987 was better..(it was)

jon jones n0jk at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 22 05:37:38 EDT 2003

>>-- George Fremin III <geoiii at kkn.net> wrote:
>>Yes - that would be nice - but from a sheer QSO
>>count this year was
>>better than 1987 for us since we were able to get
>>over 1000 contacts
>>by midnight Saturday night on six meters and no
>>one in 1987 made it
>>1000 contacts on six meters.

>There are more stations on 6M in 2003 vs. 1987, so comparing raw QSO
>numbers
>may be misleading. - NØJK

In 1987 I recall 6M was open ALL day Saturday well into the night, then
opened early
Sunday. It stayed open all day Sunday up to the end of the contest. We had 2
Meter Es
from Kansas to Florida Sunday morning. And the first 220 MHz Es QSO was made
in the '87
contest.

But for the 2003 contest Sunday was dead, dead, dead in the morning for
almost everyone.
Only spotty Es for most in the afternoon. Finally Sunday evening some Es
from VP9 and
Florida to W1, W2, W3, W8, etc. Not counting my 30 minute opening to Europe.
:-) So, the
2003 contest had one great day, then a so - so day. 1987 had two outstanding
days of Es
prop.

On June 15, 1987 VP9GE worked N6CA DM04 Saturday evening while running 10
watts. On June 14,
2003 at 0027 utc I worked W6KK DM14 from FM72 Bermuda with only 10 watts.
Deja vu?

I believe IF the June 2003 VHF QSO Party had been held June 13 - 15, rather
than 14 - 16,
2003 would have been much like the 1987 contest. Maybe someone would have
got over the
2,000 QSO mark in 2003 on 6 Meters! K5AM or K5TR perhaps? Shows what a
difference
a day makes in VHF Contesting.

- Jon NØJK