[VHFcontesting] This weekend New Contest for Microwavers

Rick R rick1ds at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 13 18:27:08 EST 2003

New Contest for Microwavers!ALL PACKRATS, Rovers and Microwave ops on the
East Coast: We are planning to operate for this activity with a focus on
Saturday, March 15th, from 8AM-2PM.  Calling will be on 144.260, then move
your station to another freq for microwave coordination. Packrat Logs can be
coordinated thru me for a club submission. You may do best using one of
W3KM's logging program. Let’s get on!!
                       SEE DETAILS BELOW
	For some time San Bernardino Microwave Society members have been mulling
over a contest that would encourage activity and level some of the contest
playing field. Thanks to N6RMJ and committee a contest has been designed
that we hope does that. The contest would involve activity from 2ghz and up
and center around club activity. Members tally up their scores and add them
up with other member's scores to make up a club score. The final score is
then submitted in one of three categories based on club size. Awards will be
issued to clubs in the following three categories: Clubs with 2-10 members,
11-50 members, and 51 and above. Yes, you can make up a club of two and call
yourselves whatever you like. (However, we don't encourage words in the club
title that will have to be replaced with an * or @. ) The intent is to give
isolated stations, roving groups and others a chance to win in a special
category. This is not meant to break up a large club into 25 small clubs. We
had quite a discussion about this aspect and felt that we should leave it up
to good sense and practice. For instance, several of our members have
extensive roving stations on multiple bands. Should they enter as a separate
club or part of SBMS? We felt that ordinarily if you are a member of an
established club you should enter under that club. However, if you are not a
current member of a club, either join one or start your own. Club size
minimum is 2. Two good things could happen, you could start a club that
would grow or you could all join some other club. (In the early days of
radio it happened a lot.)
However if you and several others want to go out roving as a separate club
and call yourselves "The Microrovers Club" you can do that too. A minimum
club is a contest submission from two operators who have separate stations.
This is the first time out for the event and we look forward to your
comments to improve it.  73, Doug Millar K6JEY SBMS President

2GHZ AND UP WORLD WIDE CLUB CONTEST    2003
SPONSORED BY THE S.B.M.S.
SAN BERNARDINO MICROWAVE SOCIETY

1. Object: Worldwide amateurs work as many amateur stations in as many
different locations as possible in the world on bands from 2-GHz through
Light.

2. Date and Contest Period: Third full weekend of March. The dates are March
15-16, 2003 Operations may take place for 24 hours total on the contest
weekend. The weekend begins at 6AM local Saturday though 12 midnight local
Sunday. Listening times count as operating time. Times off must be clearly
indicated in the log.

3. Entry Categories: CLUBS
3.1.0 CLUBS WILL BE DIVIDED INTO 3 CATEGORIES BY AMOUNT OF ACTIVE MEMBERS
3.1.1 SMALL = 2-10 / MEDIUM = 11-50 / LARGE = 51 AND MORE

4. Exchange: Six-character Maidenhead Locator (see April 1994 QST, p 86 or
www.arrl/org/locate/gridinfo.html).
4.1.0 Signal report is optional.

5. Miscellaneous:
5.1.0 Scheduling contacts is both permissible and encouraged.
5.2.0 Stations are encouraged to operate from more than a single location.
For purposes of the contest, a change of location is
defined as a move of at least 16 km (10 miles). A station may be reworked on
each band for additional credit by either end
of the contact moving to a new location.
5.3.0 Contacts may not be duplicated on the second day (that is at least one
end of the QSO must be from a different location).
5.4.0 Contacts must be made over a minimum distance of 1 km.
5.5.0 A transmitter used to contact one or more stations may not be used
subsequently under any other call during the contest
period. The intent of this rule is to prohibit “manufactured” contacts.

6. Scoring:
6.1.0 Distance points: The distance in km between stations for each
successfully completed QSO is calculated.
Distance = distance in km.
6.2.0 In making the distance calculations, a string (or ruler) and map may
be used. However, calculations by computer program
are preferred. Several such programs are available in the commercial market,
including a BASIC program listing in
The ARRL World Grid Locator Atlas. For purposes of making calculations,
stations are defined as being located in the center
of the 6-character locator sub-square (most computer programs make this
assumption).
6.3.0 There are multipliers. QRP= X-3 / MEDIUM= X-2 / UNLIMITED= X-1
6.3.1 QRP 0 500MW / MEDIUM 501MW - 5W / UNLIMITED 5W AND UP
6.3.2 You must decide what power level you are going to run on each band and
stay with that on that band
You can have a different power level for each band, but can only use the
multiplier for that bands QSO points
6.4.0 QSO points: Count 100 QSO points for each unique call sign worked per
band. Portable indicators added to a call sign
are not considered as making the call sign unique.

Scoring example: DISTANCE MULTIPLIER POINTS
N6CA works N6XQ on 2GHZ AT 20 WATTS AT 10KM    10  1   10
N6CA works N6XQ on 3GHZ AT 4.9 WATTS AT 10KM   10  2   20
N6CA works N6XQ on 5GHZ AT 5 WATTS AT 10KM      10  2   20
N6CA works N6XQ on 10GHZ AT 250MW AT 10KM       10  3   30
N6XQ UNIQUE CALL 100

DISTANCE X MULTIPLIER = POINTS
ADD ALL POINTS TOTAL = 180
ADD ALL CLUB MEMBERS TOTAL TO COME UP WITH THE TOTAL FOR THE CLUB
COMPETITION
ALL SCORES WILL BE SUBMITTED TO THE SBMS AS A CLUB TOTAL NO INDIVIDUAL
SCORES FOR THIS COMPETITION
SUBMIT LOGS TO PAT COKER N6RMJ
N6RMJ at DIRECWAY.COM OR MAIL GOOD IN ANY CALLBOOK SINCE 1988