[VHFcontesting] Re: VHF Contest Rules Revisions - Part III

Bob & Fran Striegl (K2DRH & N2KMA) k2drh at sanasys.com
Thu May 1 01:07:05 EDT 2003

> Limited SO.  This idea has much merit.  Possibly, over
> 80% of all VHF hams have 4 or fewer bands, with modest
> antennas, and almost always with solid state bricks
> (another technological innovation that lead to lots of
> bigger signals getting on the air in the early
> 1990's).  Encouraging a SO limited, similar to the
> Multi limited, may marginally improve log submissions
> since this rules change would positively impact the
> large bulk of the VHF community.  Instead of a SO High
> power versus a SO low power, I suggest an SO unlimited
> high power versus a SO Limited low power (under 200
> watts).  This would remove the de facto microwave
> problem for the vast majority of the contesters out
> there.  Participation could still occur on more than 4
> bands but only the best 4 bands would be submitted for
> point credit, just the same as the limited multi.  The
> distinction of high versus low power could be
> preserved, but only with a limited proviso added to
> the SO low power category.

A limited SO category definitely has merit.  It would provide recognition
for those stations that don't have the space or resources to put up up a
fully competitive station and hopefully encourage them to improve the
station they already have to become more competitive in the new category.
However endorsing it at the expense of the current SOLP stations who have
enough drive and determination to build up their stations and operate them
competitively under the current rules doesn't seem very conducive to
improving log submissions at all.  What possible good would it do to
alienate an already established set of contest operators that have
concentrated their efforts with this category in mind?  Last time we did
something like that was with the Rovers and we are still recovering.

Bob K2DRH EN41vr