[VHFcontesting] Re: Good Buddy QSOs

Duane Grotophorst n9dg at yahoo.com
Thu May 1 16:24:23 EDT 2003

--- "Andrew T. Flowers, K0SM" <flowersa at alltel.net>
wrote:

> In all fairness, it wouldn't bother me to see a 1km
> minimum distance for
> any QSO between members of the same multi, not just
> using equipment
> *capable* of 1km.

In some ways 1km is a rather arbitrary distance
itself, wouldn't it make more sense to specify a
minimum distance that is further than you can
communicate without using a radio (such as shouting to
each other)? After all aren't we all trying to
establish 'radio' communications because we can't
communicate the distance without it?

Additionally the existing requirement for the stations
to use electronic detection is also sensible and
proper. Again we are trying to advance the 'radio'
art, not improve upon our visual acuity (such as
flashing mirrors over a sizeable distance and using
binoculars).

Duane
N9DG
EN53bj