[VHFcontesting] Rover available for captivity!

Bill Olson callbill at hotmail.com
Sat May 3 20:08:40 EDT 2003

Hah! Good one Rick! Welcome to the zany world of VHF contesting.. I think
we've beaten this Rover thing pretty much to death, but at the expense of
getting hammered one more time I have a *few* more comments.

It seems the so-called "captive" rovers are "captivated" by the big
unlimited multiop stations. Because these stations are usually well-equipped
on ALL bands including the microwave bands, they found it advantageous to
send rovers to grids that were not active on the microwave bands, working
them, and thereby increasing their score. This was all done within the rules
(I don't think anyone is disputing whether or not the contacts were actually
MADE!) and has been going on for a LONG time, certainly before there was a
"rover" entry category.

Now, the unlimited multiops are only competing with other unlimited multi-op
stations. Many of these stations also have so-called "captive" rovers. Now,
in truth, some of the unlimiteds "bailed" and became "limited" stations
because they felt they could not compete either because of lack of
equipment, manpower, rover stations (which I doubt), or whatever. The
stations that are left are competing with each other and having quite a
battle of it too. Even beyond this, awards are given by ARRL division so
that Montana stations are not competing with New York stations. (OK,... I
know there is a listing of "top ten overall" and some of us compete to get
in that list).

I am not sure, but I don't think I have heard any complaints about so-called
"captive" rovers from the unlimited multi-ops, (If so, let's hear them!),
only single-op (or rover?) stations who are not competing with the multiops.
So what's the beef? Take away the ability to "fully utilize" the unlimited's
microwave capability and some are going to lose interest. Sure, the
single-op stations may not work the rovers, but they certainly get a great
boost to their score from working the unlimited multi-ops who are on ALL the
bands, usually on mountaintops, with stations operating all bands
simultaneously full time with good power and antennas!! If the "captive"
rover situation is part of what keeps those stations on the air, GREAT! This
helps EVERONE in the contest, right?

What I *think* I am hearing is complaints that "these rover stations are
going out and only working station "x" and not ME"! I said it before and
I'll say it again, "You cannot make a rule that says who I can and who I
cannot work."  No matter HOW you disguise the rule it hurts everyone in the
contest and the stations who wish to and have the RESOURCES will figure
another way to get their score up and still play within the (new) rules.

PLUS, I am questioning how many truly "captive" rovers there are. That is to
say stations who will NOT work (or cannot) anyone but the "mother ship". Yes
it was true in the old days, W1FC used Microwave Associates resources and
equipped portable stations with microwave capability that wasn't even
compatible with any other stations. These stations went out to mountaintops
and, all legally and very much within the contest rules, helped W1FC run up
big scores. What this also did was show other stations what was possible on
the microwave bands and got others on and things progressed to where we are
today routinely working 400-500 miles on 10gHz in the contest, distances
that before would have been very unusual indeed! The point I am making is
that, captive or not, the rovers that are associated with big multiop
stations are on some level, short term or long term, helping EVERYONE. And,
I think more and more the rovers are "decaptivating" themselves as they find
it a little boring just working one station all the time. The equipment is
compatible, they hear other stations so they WORK them. We should let this
continue to happen because it's how we help to increase activity.

I will use actual calls here! At K1WHS we have some rovers that go out and
work us each contest from the multitude of grids up here in the far
Northeast that have no activity in them at all. We have good microwave gear
at K1WHS up thru 24GHz and would like to be able to USE it. We make REAL
qso's with the rovers and they often work other stations including the
"competition", W2SZ, K8GP, W2FU, etc. Why? Because doing this stuff is fun.
It's fun building the gear and then seeing what it will do. We don't have
rovers to "unethically" WIN the contest because W2SZ (who we help by working
them from our rovers and from K1WHS) is geographically, and altitudinally
better located, has a LOT more warm bodies working for them and usually
turns in triple our score. They are even in the same DIVISION! We are just
trying to use our gear, have some fun, work the guys, and basically try to
beat our "last year's" score!

Finally, I don't think any rule intended to "ban" so-called "captive" rovers
from the contest is ENFORCEABLE even if we did determine it was a good idea.

This thread has gotten a bit emotional at times. I admit I got fired up a
bit by it. But that is good. It means we are passionate about what we are
doing. But I truly believe that in a competitive situation, that passion
should be converted into "actually doing something" to increase one's score
rather than trying to change the rules to do so. The nature of any
competition is that the entrant that has the most resources, be it
equipment, skill, heck even *luck*, is going to win most of the time. If you
level the playing field too much, then EVERYONE gets a prize and the prize
means NOTHING!

I'm done now.

See you guys all on in June!!

bill, K1DY FN54 Maine