[VHFcontesting] Strange Offsets [was: Rover available for captivity!]

Ev Tupis (W2EV) w2ev at arrl.net
Sat May 3 22:44:11 EDT 2003

W2fca at cs.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/3/03 16:32:05 Eastern Daylight Time, geoiii at kkn.net
> writes:
> << I have heard that W2SZ has equipment like this that some of their rovers us
>  to this day - stuff that has strange offsets etc. >>
>
> To be fair, as I remember it, that offset stuff is from a zillion years ago
> when there was no standard calling frequency on the higher bands.

Frank is exactly correct.  10-GHz IF's of 33 MHz (tellurometers) vs. 100 MHz (BC
Band)  vs. 10.7 MHz (it was easy) vs. 30 MHz (now standard for WBFM).  It wasn't
an attempt to keep people from working others...it was simply an attempt to get
a valid QSO into the logbook with the technology available at the time.

Note to W2SZ operators: ain't it great to be the "Microsoft" of VHF Contesting?
:)  So many folks love to hate you.  Fact is, you're living other people's
dream.  Keep up the good work!

Ev, W2EV