[VHFcontesting] The View on Captive de K2QO/R

Mark S. Adams, P.E. msadams at acsu.buffalo.edu
Sun May 4 21:20:15 EDT 2003

Hi Gang,

As a new rover (been roving for only 2 contest and QRP/p for another 3) all
I can say/ask is, WHAT?  Who in their right mind would spend weeks and
months getting set up for such a difficult task and then drive all over
creation to work 1 or 2 stations over and over?  That is CRAZY!  If anyone
fesses up to such a folly, they deserve the nuthouse.  Well, someone might
try it once if hypmotized properly, but that is all.

Roving is so much fun, and working loads of stations is so much fun, and
driving all over the countryside is so much fun that I simply cannot image
anyone being fleeced into being "captive".  How about this, let's start
naming NAMES. **WHO** are these "captive rovers? I'd like to know?

>From the rover end, if you are going to drive to 10 grids, you'd better
make sure that you can maximize q's from each one.  So having the
supermultiops is a HUGE benefit.  It ensures action from each grid.  All
the better for the /R score to work the big guys on every band from every
grid.

As for equipment loans and elmering, this is a must.  My thanks to a
prominent RVHFG microwaver for loaning me his 10G setup for the second
time.  By doing so he KNOWS that we'll both have more fun.  His advise to
me was only to have a blast!  The super multops know they can be heard
everywhere and always, so there is simply no need to make anyone "captive".
Rovers, and home stations to which they have lent equipment WILL work them.

My bottom line view?  I can see someone trying a rove maybe once for the
expressed purpose of working one guy over and over. But a second time? No
way!  Ooohhh, wait.  Is there money involved here? Is anyone PAYING the
rovers? If so, please let me know.

73 es see Y'ALL in June,
Mark K2QO/R