[VHFcontesting] Re: QRP portable geography

curtis c. roseman croseman at usc.edu
Mon May 5 20:26:04 EDT 2003

Reflectorites:

I wholeheartedly agree with the statements below about QRP Portable (now "single operator portable").  With relatively little equipment, short feedlines, simple antennas, and a good location, one can have a lot of fun.

I was curious about the statement that "west caost stations seem to have dominated it recently,"  so I looked at the data.  Over the last three years only, 2000, 2001, and 2002, here are the locations of the ten highest scoring QRP portable entries in each of the major ARRL VHF contests. They are listed in order from highest to tenth highest.

June:
IL
NC
SCV*
IA
NC
MN
WI
EPA
EPA

September:
SCV*
SJV*
ME
MN
OH
OH
SJV*
OH
WI
WI

January:
SJV*
CT
OH
WNY
EPA
ORG*
WNY
WI
LAX*
OH

I left out the calls so that we can concentrate on the geography.  Those indicated by a * are on the left coast.  I wouldn't say the coast "dominated," but clearly it is well represented, especially in September and January.
Actually, the remarkable thing that I see in this is the diversity of locations that are represented. The fact is that you can do well in this category from a lot of places, and because the number of entries is usually quite small, it is possible for a modest station to break a section record in many places across the map (even with just two or three bands).

73, Curt Roseman k9aks