[VHFcontesting] Re: [Mw] Powering microwave amps from portable supplies

Stan stan at capecod.com
Tue May 27 19:06:43 EDT 2003

Hello Bob,

Multiple classes of service:

For the minimalist: battery powered equipment focusing on 12.6 VDC and
solar, photovoltaic, charger

For the average once or twice a year portable operator:  Use the mobile
battery and charger.
        Start up the engine to charge the battery when voltage goes
below 12.0 VDC

For the few times a year portable operator: Deep discharge batteries
charged by mobile charger , or solar charger
        adding more batteries can give you more power or higher voltage
like 2 each 12 V batteries in series for 24 VDC

For the dedicated ROVER operator: a minimum of a 1000W HONDA AC
generator and DC power supplies for required DC voltages
        consider the SAMLEX 23 amp, 13.8 VDC switch mode power supply
for a light and compact PS.
        consider the HONDA EU1000iA2  generator as advertised in
QSTreet, 629$      http://www.mayberry.com/generators
            for a quiet, clean sinewave generator. Consider the
accessories like cover and service and parts manual. Larger quiet units
are available.

    With a AC generator you have AC for the antenna rotators, electrical
lights, soda cooler,  and the KW power supplies.
        Also AC power for the logging laptop computer.

Standardize on DC voltages like 13.8 VDC and/or 28.0 VDC.

Reportedly Pyro Joe's 3.4 GHz 40W bricks will play OK with 13.8 VDC and
lower duty sideband operations, instead of the 12.6 VDC as suggested.

I will advise later on the AVANTEK brick power supply issues.

Stan, WA1ECF