[VHFcontesting] Re: [VHF] EM05 in September Test

tad danley tdanley at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 7 15:42:02 EDT 2003

Donald M. Ross wrote:

> Ted,
>
> The problem with EM05 is that there is very little in the way of
> activity areas for you to get into with your set up.  You're too far
> from everywhere except Lawton (EM04) and we will have at least three
> other low power rovers activating EM05 (as well as EM03, EM04, EM14, and
> EM15) on ABCDE, so you'll just be QSO credit to the locals and will
> probably not get much farther away due to terrain.  If you're still set
> on EM05, try Fort Cobb State Park - I usually have pretty good luck from
> there, but I run 400w and at least 9 elements on 2m and 75w on 70cm with
> 18 elements.
>
> If you're not real set on EM05 and you're going to be in the OKC area,
> might I suggest EM16?  There have been no contest stations from there in
> the past two years and it is one of the reasons that I'm going to run
> through it (briefly) on my rove.

Don:

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm not set on EM05, but I would like to
operate from someplace within a 4 hour drive or less from home (EM13,
McKinney, TX, about 30 miles North of Dallas).

Based on that and my modest station, can you or anyone recommend a
better grid for me?

I will be running single Par Omniangle antennas on 6, 2 and 432 from my
Jeep with an FT-100D

Thanks again and 73,

--
Tad Danley, K3TD