[VHFcontesting] VP9/N0JK Sept. VHF QSO Party results

jon jones n0jk at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 16 19:48:31 EDT 2003

Call: VP9/N0JK
Operator(s): N0JK
Station: VP9/N0JK

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Bermuda
Operating Time (hrs): 16

    6:   7     7
    2:
  222:
  432:
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:   7     7  Total Score = 49

Club:

Comments:

What a difference a few months make compared to June. No Es, F2 or tropo
from
Bermuda in the Sept. contest. I stayed at Ed, VP9GE's QTH. Hurricane Fabian
had
knocked off the power, so I ran the contest "Field Day" style with
generators.
Only contest QSOs completed were on 6M via "scatter." I CQed often on 2M but
nil heard.

High points were working W2SZ/1 on 6M Sunday(who I missed in the June
contest) and
having a "3 per hour" run Sunday evening on scatter. K1TOL has a super
signal.
This was after having a nice dinner at the "Lobster Pot" restaurant in
downtown
Hamilton with my family celebrating my son's 22nd birthday.

Some stations heard but not worked on 6M:  W4IY, W8GG em78, K1WHS, K1JT,
K1SIX,
W2FU, K3YTL and N2PA. Believe W2FU heard me calling on CW, he would qrz, but
could not complete. At 1846 utc on Saturday heard a station giving grid
"EN19"
on 50.150 ssb. That was the best DX heard.

Best DX worked on 6M was AA4ZZ em96, K1TOL fn44 and WA2BPE fn12. A lot of
work for only a few contacts. Was hoping for a tropo or Es opening, but was
not to be this time.  Ran the IC-706MII at 100 w to a 5 el M2 yagi at 20
feet. Impressive to see how quickly the hard working people of Bermuda are
recovering from Hurricane Fabian.

Planning to return to Bermuda for the June contest.