[VHFcontesting] first time rover results

Marten T Beels martentb at goshen.edu
Mon Sep 22 10:59:40 EDT 2003

I'm definitely hooked!  The September VHF QSO contest was an absolute blast.

In a nutshell we learned a lot, as both first time contesters and first time
rovers.  Fortunately we had done a lot of planning and asking questions in
advance so we were quite well prepared.

Many thanks to the members of this list that helped answer my questions and
provided very useful information.

We were on 2, 6, and 440 FM, and all from a little Ford Festiva!  It was
definitely a 'no budget'station, as almost all of our gear was borrowed, and
our antennas were all homebrew (except a 2m 5/8 mag mount).

We operated from EN 75, 74, 64, 63, 73, and 72.  We only contacted one station
from our first grid, but as we began to figure things out, our rate definitely
improved!

I have pictures and more information up on my web page, take a look:

http://www.goshen.edu/~martentb and then click on 'rover' under 'misc' OR:

go straight to:

http://www.goshen.edu/~martentb/rover/rover.html

I'm already working on plans for our next outing!

Marten
KC8HZM