[VHFcontesting] LoTW Fee Schedule just released !!!

Lee Scott - AA1YN aa1yn at aa1yn.com
Mon Sep 29 21:47:28 EDT 2003

At 05:44 PM 9/29/2003 -0400, R Johnson wrote:
>At 4:59 PM the ARRL LoTW Fees were placed on the LoTW
>https://www.arrl.org/lotw/fees .
>These Fees are a bit more than what I had expected when you consider that
>you still
>have to pay for the ARRL Award.
>
>With eQSL it cost only $5.01( $5 for the AG Certificate and $0.01 for a
>donation) to
>register your logs and ALL of the Awards are free.
>
>Not that I'm equating an EQSL Award with an ARRL Award, but this price
>difference
>isn't going to help LoTW a bit.
>
>73
>Bob, K1VU

Bob - and others,

I too was a little shocked at the prices.  I then got to thinking about
some of their reasoning as to the prices for the credits.

First it was and still is quite an undertaking for the software.  I do
software development as a consultant and it is probably costing the League
about $500,000 if not more.

Then when you consider what it costs to mail a QSL card with an SASE. -
$0.74 each, then the $0.25 each is not too bad. It will take quite a few
confirmed QSLs to pay for the software.

When you consider I'm going to send out 8 QSL cards to one person with an
SASE, it is only $0.0925 each.  I would have thought that the League would
have priced the confirmations at $0.10 each for members and maybe $0.20 for
non-members (single quantity) - but then, I'm not a League decision maker.

I guess time will tell as to whether the price is accepted by the community
or not.

Lee Scott - AA1YN
Home of the VHF & Up Register http://www.aa1yn.com/vhf
Hooksett, NH