[VHFcontesting] 2m DEMI Transverter Construction

Robin Midgett KB4IDC at comcast.net
Mon Aug 30 11:36:17 EDT 2004

Hi Jason,
I've assembled several of the 28-xxx transverters from DEMI. The kits are
usually fairly straight forward to assemble, but I must admit that prior
experience is a great benefit. The instructions assume the builder is
familiar with how a transverter operates, and has some kit building
experience. Patience is the key; don't get in a rush. Also, I've found it
beneficial to photo copy the schematic, parts list and board layouts before
beginning construction. I mark the photo copied sheets with high lighters
so as to keep track of what parts I've installed. This also serves to
preserve the originals. A muffin tin is handy for sorting parts prior to
construction.

Test equipment: at the minimum, you'll need your IF rig interfaced to the
transverter, and a multi-meter. Beyond that, a frequency counter to net the
oscillator is essential. A power meter to measure the RF out is also a good
tool to have. As a step by step measure, you can build by transverter
stages, testing each one as you complete each stage. I usually start with
the oscillator.

As for interfacing to the TS-850, DEMI offers an interface box for
transverters and the TS-850 specifically. I use one of these, and it is a
very handy piece of equipment, especially if you plan to use the 850 for HF
operation and a transverter driver.

If you run into difficulties, Steve at DEMI is very good about providing
telephone support. Also, I'm happy to help if I can; feel free to contact me.

>Today's Topics:
>
>    1. DEM 2m Transverter (144-28CK) Kit (DUGAS, JASON A. (JSC-EP) (NASA))

>Message: 1
>Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:07:24 -0500
>From: "DUGAS, JASON A. (JSC-EP) (NASA)" <jason.a.dugas at nasa.gov>
>Subject: [VHFcontesting] DEM 2m Transverter (144-28CK) Kit
>To: "'vhfcontesting at contesting.com'" <vhfcontesting at contesting.com>
>
>Just curious ifanyone on this list has any experience with putting
>together the 144-28CK kit from DEM?
>
>I've done a couple kits before but have never done any RF kits per
>se...Curious as to the difficulty level and what the minimum amount of
>test equipment that I would need.  I don't have much equipment at home but
>do have access to an electronics lab that I could use from time to time
>for quick testing, etc.
>
>Planning on using this transverter with a TS-850S/AT.  Would appreciate
>any comments or advice.
>
>73 de KB5URQ

Thanks,
Robin Midgett KB4IDC