[VHFcontesting] Choice of Rover Vehicles

Dan Evans n9rla at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 3 19:00:38 EST 2004

I would like to suggest a discussion topic:

Choice of Rover Vehicles.

In the last couple of years my old reliable truck has become just my old
truck.  And it looks like I may well be in the market for another Rover
vehicle.

Here are a few of the things I think are important in a Rover vehicle:

1.  ROOM.  My current setup is a 1992 Ford Ranger pickup.  With just the
bottom 4 bands, there is just barely room enough in the truck for me and the
rigs.  A second op is out of the question, unless I strap them to the mast!

2.  Antenna mounting options.  Right now with my pickup, I set up the
antennas on a push up mast mounted in the bed of the truck, and braced by
the truck racks.  This way I can leave the antennas in place, and just
extend the mast when I reach a new grid.  As a solo Rover, ease of setup is
a must for me.

3. Comfortable.  My first few Rover trips I borrowed my Dad's old van.  It
had LOTS of room, but man it was hot in July, August, and September.  Maybe
I'm just getting 'soft', but it seems like Air Conditioning is almost a
necessity.

What are your requirements?

What am I missing?  I'm thinking about going with a van or mini-van.  But I
haven't came up with a good way to mount the yagi's on a van.  I could go
with a trailer hitch setup, but I use 12'+ yagi's and I don't like the idea
of 6 or 7' of antenna trailing behind the van.  I could build a 'roof-rack',
but I hate to loose the extra height and rotation of the pushup mast....
It's a tough decision.  I may end up getting another pickup.  A full size
pickup may give me enough room for the rigs and leave room for a future
second op...

What do you use?  How do you mount your antennas?  If you were going to
choose a "better" vehicle, what would you choose?

Hey, it beats discussing CW regulations.......

73
Dan
Dan Evans K9ZF
Scottsburg, IN 47170