[VHFcontesting] rover vehicle

Gregg Seidl k9kl at direcway.com
Tue Feb 3 20:12:05 EST 2004

I know that diesels are a lot more money and don't know if you can justify
its extra cost without pulling something heavy but they have twin batteries
and a 180 amp alt. at least and maybe even heavier.Diesels also get much
better mileage and don't burn near the fuel while idling as a gasser
does.For instance:I have a 1999 Dodge 3500 dually 4 by 4 with the Cummins
diesel and a 5 speed stick,it also has a Jacobs exhaust brake on it.Just
driving around I get around 22 mpg and towing our 36 foot 5th wheel camper
to a NASCAR race somewhere and at 75-80 miles an hour I get 10-13 mpg.I also
have a 2001 Chevy HD2500 4 by 4 with the 8.1 liter gas engine and it doesn't
get 16mpg goning downhill with the wind.I got the gasser because I use it
for our farm and it does a lot of short trips which are not good for
diesels.Bad thing about diesels:$$$$$$.Hope this helps decide the power
plant.   Gregg  K9KL