[VHFcontesting] ARRL VHF+ contest proposals: input invited

Tom Carney tomc7 at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 20 14:04:59 EST 2004

First I would like to thank the committee for their time and effort to
improve VHF contesting.

As a rover, this proposal would have a major impact on my future operation.
It's not clear to me why such significant changes are needed, it is that
broken?

A few comments/question:  While I support the comments regarding grid
circling and captive operation, it's not clear what the proposal will
actually do to eliminate them.  The proposal says "will result in review of
the log by the contest managers.", OK so it gets reviewed.  What then, is
the log disqualified or what?

As a member of a contest club, I have a major problem with eliminating a
rover score from club scoring.  While I was not active back when the rover
rules were previously changed, I thought that the "abuse" in club scoring
could not have occurred if grid circling was prohibited?

If you don't intend to prohibit circling, why not a rule that prohibits a
rover from re-entering a grid without a 4/8/12 hour intervening time.  Seems
like this would effectively prohibit circling and not be subjective.

Why only one point for working a rover?  Does the rover also only get one
point for working a non rover.  This seems aimed at reinforcing wanting
rovers to only operate from rare grid squares.  IE why bother working a
rover unless you need the grid?  In our area any activity is appreciated,
even a rover who just operated from a couple of populated grids.

I'll comment of the other section later when I have time to thinks about
them.

73  Tom  KE6FI/R  or maybe just KE6FI with these changes.