[VHFcontesting] Rover Circling Solution [was: ARRL VHF+ contest proposals: input invited]

Ev Tupis w2ev at arrl.net
Fri Feb 20 23:07:18 EST 2004

John K9IJ wrote:

> There are a lot of rovers that squeeze rover activity into other
> activities in their busy days. Commuting to and from a work location,
> for example. Telling those people that they can only operate a short
> time, even though they may be in and out of the car many times over the
> contest period, just because they don't live close to a grid boundry, is
> just another disincentive to operating rover at all.  We need to
> 'encourage' rovers, not discourage them.

Hi John,
The problem is that a small number of folks ruin the fun for a lot of
folks (just like when we were in high school).  In this case, it's west
coast rovers.  A few years ago it was a group of east coasters.  In the
absence of "dad" stepping in and paddling someone for violating the
intent of the rules, all that is left is legislation.

As is the case with legislation, there is "collateral damage".  The art
is to craft it in such a way as to minimize it.

In a nutshell, "yes, you are right", but the alternative is to leave
things as they are, which the ARRL doesn't seem to be interested in doing.

So far...the proposal on the table is simple, enforcable and has the
least amount of collateral damage of any proposal that has been floated
(with the assumption that a change in rules is necessary).  Please
suggest another alternative.

Regards,
Ev, W2EV