[VHFcontesting] ARRL VHF+ contest proposals: input invited

John K9IJ k9ij at vx5.com
Fri Feb 20 22:07:38 EST 2004

At 10:31 PM 2/20/2004 -0500, you wrote:

> [...]

Dave,

Then the additional points for higher bands isn't going to make a lot of
difference.
Your assumption that "Most new particpants do not have numerous bands and I
believe they are discouraged when they find they are not competive." Isn't much
different. And you say yourself, you added 432 for reasons other than to become
more competitive.

I disagree with that assumption. I think that for some, adding a band to become
more competitive is an incentive, but to add a band just to make more qsos for
the enjoyment of it, is just as much an incentive.

You're never going to be able to 'level the field' to a point where a new
participant
is going to be competitive with the established contesters. Not without
driving off
the highly competitive guys that have big bucks to build superstations. You
just
can't do it.

Extra points for the higher bands provide a big incentive for people to go
to the
extra effort (and believe me, it is an extra effort) to add those bands to
their stations.
The difference between adding 432 and adding 1296 or 2304+ is significant.
Additional
incentives like more qso points, or allowing the operators at Multi-Ops to
bring out
their microwave equipement and put it to use are good incentives to
encourage activity
on those bands, and we 'need' those incentives.

I believe that a much better incentive to encourage the entry level
stations would be
to add a 'Limited Single' category. I've never quite understood the
rationale of having
Limited Multi but not Limited Single.

John - K9IJ

> > Based on that assumption, then we should eliminate all the bands except
>maybe
> > Six and Two because the beginning contester isn't going to likely be on
> > 220Mhz or
> > 432/450 either.
> >
> > The extra points for 2.3G and higher bands are there specifically to
> > encourage more
> > participation on those bands. WE continue to 'need' to encourage
> > participation on
> > those bands.
> >
> > A MUCH better solution to encourage new participation and allow them to
>become
> > competitive sooner would be to add a 'limited single' category.
> >
> > John - K9IJ
> >

> > >David

-

John Rice  K9IJ