[VHFcontesting] Re: Rover Circling Solution & ARRL VHF+ contest proposals

Ev Tupis w2ev at arrl.net
Sat Feb 21 10:18:27 EST 2004

N3AWS at aol.com wrote:

> Why not simply say grid circling and captive rovers are OK, but all such
> stations that engage in this type of operation are ineligible for awards and any
> records they set will be unofficial.  All such stations must declare the
> activity in their entries or be disqualified for two years.
>
> That would make any perceived incentive disappear pretty quickly and not
> impact the casual rover.

N6NB and crew could have done it and simply submitted as a check log.
They didn't.  They were out to make a point.

I still believe that Grid Circling, Pack Roving and Captive Rovers *are*
prohibited in the rules, because their operation does not meet the
objective of the event, which is clearly spelled out:

"Objective: To work as many amateur stations in as many different 2
degrees by 1 degree grid squares as possible using authorized
frequencies above 50 MHz."

N6NB and crew did not operate with this objective in mind (and they've
said so publicly).  One wonders if their logs ought to be accepted in
the first place (now THERE's an interesting spin, huh?).

Ev, W2EV