[VHFcontesting] Vhf Contests

Larry Lambert NØLL n0ll at ruraltel.net
Sun Feb 22 22:46:53 EST 2004

Tom,  I'll bet u are getting all kinds of comments on the
recommendations and goals concerning the three ARRL VHF contests.  Some
guys have some pretty strong feelings about this.
Out here in the sticks where we have more jackrabbits coyotes and deer
than people the rovers used to be a large part of my score.  Especially
in January and September.  When the rover scoring rules were changed in
say 1995 the rover Q went down darmacicly.  Before 1995 I might have as
many as 200 rover q from my single operator station.  Last January 2004
the rover contacts were 13.  That has really made a deference and the
deference is not good for contest activity.
I was serving the Midwest Division on the Contest Advisory Committee
back in the 90s.  The CAC voted 11 to 3 to change the rover scoring
rules back to the pre 1995 rules.  When our recommendations got to the
Membership Services Committee at the League this was rejected. Several
good Rovers out here who hadn't already quit rovering quit then and most
have never returned to the road.  It sounds now like maybe we the CAC
people knew best all along.  Otherwise I really don't feel much needs to
be changed in the rules.  Change is hard for me so whatever happens
happens but I remember that rover scoring change in 1995 discouraged
activity during the contests.  In fact some of the Colorado guys are
still upset about this. N0LRJ our 20 grid contest rover has basically
went QRT completely.  I also have to think the 1 point per rover q won't
work.  It may be different on the East or West coast but it is not a
good idea out here.
Of the last 90 or so ARRL VHF contests I have won in Kansas in the class
entered all but say maybe 4.

73s Larry N0LL