[VHFcontesting] Rovers again

John K9IJ k9ij at vx5.com
Wed Feb 25 21:01:04 EST 2004

At 07:29 PM 2/25/2004 -0500, W0eea at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 2/25/2004 5:01:14 PM Mountain Standard Time, tree at kkn.net
>writes:
>
>A circle rover does un-natural things that involve mostly working the other
>rovers in tow.  They might bother working a few other stations, but mostly
>it is more trouble than it is worth.
>I take it you have never been a grid circling rover. (I have.)

Yeah. Actually I have. We set a Midwest Rover Record in Jan 2003.

>Rovers involved in circling are trying to be extremely competitive,
>not only against the rest of the country,  but also against the other(s)
>the are circling with.  The only way an individual rover in the group
>can beat the other rovers is to work every other station they can hear.

That's absolutely correct. But then working every station you can hear
is the only way you're going to beat anyone, any time.

>They have to "to adopt operating practices that allow as many stations as
>possible to contact them" to win.

This is a 'good' thing.

>The year I did it we had five more contacts and one more mult than the other
>rover we were circling with.  Every possible contact made a difference.

We circled at 3 corners over the period of the contest. Our qso total
difference
was somewhat more than that, as we didn't peer for the entire contest.

The SIGNIFICANT statistic, however, was the fact that the QSO total from grid
circling with that peer only accounted for 27% of total QSOs worked during the
contest. Thus the high score was only dependent on grid circling in a
limited way.

And I wouldn't consider ANY of it 'un-natural'.

John - K9IJ

-

John Rice  K9IJ
k9ij at vx5.com