[VHFcontesting] Preventing grid circling.

John K9IJ k9ij at vx5.com
Thu Feb 26 11:43:58 EST 2004

At 11:58 AM 2/26/2004 -0500, Dan Evans wrote:
>I wouldn't want to place a limit on the time a Rover has to wait before
>leaving a grid.  That would be to restrictive on normal Roving.

It sure would.

 > some lines deleted

>I know there are a lot of Rovers that would object to this because it is
>still restrictive of normal Rovers.  For example, when I travel up I465
>through Indianapolis I pass from EM69 into EM79 and back again within a few
>miles as the road curves across the grid boundary.  I usually try to pick up
>some contacts on 2m FM while going through the different grids.  The
>re-entry rule would prevent me from working some of them.  So this is not a
>perfect solution, but it seems to be the LEAST restrictive.  And I'm afraid
>if we want to come up with a hard and fast rule to prevent grid circling,
>then we are likely to have endure some restrictions.  If someone would can
>come up with better solution, I would certainly like to see it.  Or do we
>need a solution?  Rovers?

I don't think we need a 'solution'. I went back and re-read the comments on
eHam
from the original article. Of all the comments there were only negative
comments
from a couple of people - both NON ROVERS.

I don't see any ROVERS complaining much.

This has all been hashed out ad-nauseam repeatedly over the years. It resulted
in a rules change, once, which resulted at that time in a big reduction in
rovers in
the field. We're just, now, getting back to a point where there are a
growing number
of rovers participating in every contest. This helps everybody. Let's not
screw it up
again.

John - K9IJ

-