[VHFcontesting] Parting with Tradition [was:Wouldn't it be cool if...

Ev Tupis w2ev at arrl.net
Thu Feb 26 21:47:56 EST 2004

> Heck, I could be a champion weight lifter if I could use a hydraulic jack in
> the competition. (New Tool)

I wonder if these were the conversations that took place when SSB began
supplanting full-carrier AM. :)  Compared to the "standard technology" of
the day, those "donald duck" sounds weren't copyable by ear...until folks
realized that the addition of a BFO gave them a significant advantage.

Today...that "braaaap" or "white noise" may be a digital QSO taking place.
Instead of a BFO, you need a soundcard.  Instead of an ear, you need an eye.

The 21st century is both a fascinating and a frightening time.

Ev Tupis, W2EV