[VHFcontesting] re: Wouldn't it be cool if...

Ev Tupis w2ev at arrl.net
Fri Feb 27 06:41:12 EST 2004

>>While I like that Ev is trying to "expand" the role that the utility
 >> modes can play in contesting unfortunately its a mode that I'm likely
 >>to never use unless a significant number of others in my  area begin
 >> to show interest in it as well.  I have to look at things from a
 >> "ROI" (return on investment) and would rather put another band on the
 >> air than another mode of a band I'm already using.

Absolutly right on the mark, Mike.  Utilities are there as "cream on the top".

On the other hand...it's an interesting "catch-22".  Until there is
activity, there won't be activity. :)  The real power of the system is
realized the first time an unexpected station pops up on your HamIM display.
  This happens mostly in Rover-to-Rover QSO's (some of the most difficult to
accomplish if you *aren't* pack roving).  I have an interesting HamIM story
to share with the list (which I'll do shortly).

I simply wanted to echo your comments.  By the same token, if one already
has all of the bands that are active in their area, give HamIM a try (and
let others know it so they can try it with you).  At least in the case of
HamIM, it is there to _support_ traditional contest qso's, _not_ take the
place of them.

Regards,
Ev, W2EV