[VHFcontesting] "Preventing" grid circling

Ed K1EP k1ep at mgef.org
Fri Feb 27 11:27:40 EST 2004

At 2/27/04 11:06 AM, John (JK) Kalenowsky, K9JK wrote:
>Hey Gang,
>
>Rather than PREVENTING Grid Circling/Pack Roving by implementing a Post Contest PENALTY for these practices...how about a scoring provision that reduces or removes the Reward (score) for repeated Rover-to-Rover contacts over _trivial distances_?
>
>The "QSO Point change" proposed in the "Request For Comments" _already_ suggests a distinction in Point Value for contacts "with your own grid and any adjacent grid" versus contacts "beyond that." (See Footnote 1 below my .sig.)
>
>What if *ONLY ONE* "Rover-to-Rover" contact (per band) "with your own grid and any adjacent grid" received QSO Point Credit?

I don't think that would work.  Say I am in FN32 and an unknown rover to me is driving from FN22 through FN32 to FN31.  He is going to hit three grids.  I am a "slower" rover and stay in FN32 for 2 or 3 hours.  Does that mean I don't get credit for the QSO's I have with him from the FN32 or FN31 grids?  We are not grid circling, we are contesting.