[VHFcontesting] "highly undesireable practices"

Anonymous Coward n0cal at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 29 21:46:34 EST 2004

Hi all,

    This is an excellent post.

    It is worth noting that the current system does,
of course, provide crude distance-based scoring. The
number of grids available varies with r squared, where
r is the nominal QSO distance of the station for that
band. Further, since the QSO points are larger than
the grid count, the score varies roughly with r
squared too. So better stations are handsomely
rewarded.

    The problem with the rover scores is that they can
mechanically move their station in lieu of improving
their equipment.

    So, as an alternative to consider instead of
distance-based scoring, how about this: Rovers count
relative grids toward their score, rather than
absolute grids. So, if the rover is in FN32 and works
grids FN32 and FN33, then moves to FN42 and works
grids FN42 and FN43, the grids multiplier will be two
instead of four. As a visualization aid, imagine you
score your grids on a transparency with an unlabeled
grid plot. To score your contact, center the
transparency over your current grid and color in the
grid you worked. If you move grids, you move your
transparency. Easy.  This preserves the r-squared
property of the fixed station score, with out a great
deal of math. The disadvantage of this idea versus
Duane's idea is that it does not provide the same
reward for all DX contacts.

        Best regards - Dave KD3NC