[VHFcontesting] Rover Scheds and Station Activity emails

jon jones n0jk at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 22 00:37:46 EST 2004

>I'm not intending to pick on anyone....simply inform the masses.
>
>How many of us actually print out published rover schedules?  How many
>Rovers
>keep their schedules fully?  Rhetorical....I'm not asking for answers
>because I
>know what the answers are.  A few people do, but most of us don't.

Ev:

Some rovers *do* keep to their schedule. Dean, WAØTKJ, who was one of the
very first VHF Contest rovers, would go out over 800 miles in a contest
weekend back in the early 90s.  He would be + - 15 minutes on each grid he
put on the air.  Keeping to a published schedule is a matter of careful trip
planning and diligence.

>Ditto email messages that say, "I'm going to be on ABCD9E from Grid AB12CD
>with
>medium power, look for me in the contest".

If a rare grid is QRV from a direction I do not normally CQ or listen, it
helps me to know it is on for the contest and what type of power/antennas
are planned.

>One tool for this is HamIM.  It works very well.  No need to pre-publish a
>schedule (unless y'r braggin').  No need to keep to a schedule (unless you
>don't
>mind abandoning a band opening in progress, etc.).  Simply setup on your
>hilltop
>and send a few HamIM CQ's.
>
>All a rover needs (at a minimum) is a laptop, packet TNC and software.  NO
>GPS
>NEEDED (you can manually update the software with your grid when you move).

HamIM may be a useful adjunct. I do not use a laptop when QRP (S/O portable)
or roving due to reliability and battery issues. Log pencil and paper.
Others I know do the same.

- Jon N0JK