[VHFcontesting] ARRL kills VHF, Should we let them?

Ward Silver hwardsil at centurytel.net
Mon Jul 19 20:17:49 EDT 2004

I said that their mission is "...to insure the health of the Amateur
Service", not "...the organization."  The very best way to represent the
interests of the members is to protect the vitality of Amateur Radio so that
the members can engage in such pursuits as VHF+ contesting.  A strong
Amateur Service with active members will be reflected in strong membership
for the League, not vice versa.

Would you seriously suggest that your Division Director tot up the number of
contesters vs. complaining non-contesters and make his or her votes
accordingly?  I certainly hope NOT.  I would hope that your Director is
sharp enough to realize that contesting is worth the time and expense and
make League policy to protect and encourage it instead of strictly
representing his constituency's wishes on an individual or numeric basis.

With 165,000 "ME's" to represent, most of whom take an active dislike to
contesting and have never done anything on any VHF+ band except use a
repeater, you would suggest what, exactly?  As a matter of fact, it looks
like the League is looking after the far less than 5% of its membership
engaged in VHF+ contesting rather well by using a disproportionate amount of
manpower and resources to protect and advance their interests.

The League needs to represent "US", not "ME."

73, Ward N0AX

> I was under the impression the officials were elected to represent ME, The
> MEMBER, not the organization. What a dumb cracker I turn out to be. Like
> Congress, somewhere along the way the mission changed...
>
> >They are elected officials, not postal clerks.  As officials of the
> >organization, their primary mission is to insure the health of the
Amateur