[VHFcontesting] How to build the June VHF contest

Rusty Boling deputyb112 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 20 13:53:05 EDT 2004

Just my opinion, but I feel that it may be Field Day that pulls down
participation in the June VHF Contest.  It is simply too hard for "most"
hams to do both the June VHF Contest and Field Day as well.  In addition to
this I also feel that it pulls down participation when each individual
operator's score is not shown in QST.  I know the latter is not new news,
but do you all think that having more separation between the VHF contest and
Field Day would increase your, or your club's participation?  I know that in
my club there are a lot of us that are parents, husbands, homeowners, and
full-time employees that have to work weekends, or even all the above as in
my case.  I wish we had more VHF contests per year that were in the 12 hour
range versus 27-33 hr range as these longer contests tie up a whole weekend,
and if you setup in the mountains it can tie up as much as 4 days with setup
and teardown.  That last point is really only a personal gripe of mine, but
I do see it echoed by a lot of us 20's-30's hams.
Rusty  AE4BK