[VHFcontesting] Increasing Participation - At Last

Ward Silver hwardsil at centurytel.net
Wed Jul 21 15:47:48 EDT 2004

> So if we want people to get on VHF/UHF and play, we
> need a new push for education.  This isn't easy, but
> in the end it will be worth it for us.  I am not sure
> that changing the rules for the VHF contests is going
> to have much of an effect, except maybe a negative
> one.  It stands to tick off alot of current operators
> who decide to quit playing.  I think very few new
> operators will start contesting just because there is
> now a 706 class in the June VHF contest.
>
> 73s John NE0P

You're right.  Education (and a little PR) is absolutely key.  While QST
articles help, I think the local touch (giving talks and one-to-one
tutoring) is probably going to give the best results.  There are usually
lots of general-purpose ham clubs that are starving for interesting
programs.  A short demo on how to operate one of the multi-band rigs on VHF+
SSB/CW and what VHF+ contesting is all about would be a sure-fire hit.  In
the programs and talks I've given, what gets the audience buzzing is usually
the idea of roving - I show a few photos of mountaintops, portables, and
mobiles in attractive or scenic locations and you can hear the wheels start
to turn.

73, Ward N0AX