[VHFcontesting] Insights to Consider

Ev Tupis w2ev at arrl.net
Wed Jul 21 19:39:36 EDT 2004

Great point made below...with followup from me ...

> I happen to believe that one of the primary reasons
> that VHF contests get fewer logs is that fewer people operate VHF SSB/CW
> and there are far fewer stations to work in a VHF contest and thus
> they tend to be considered more "boring" to most contest operators.

The underlying question is "why are there fewer stations to work in a VHF
contest?".  People operate because: 1> It's fun.  2> There's a reward.

Why aren't VHF Contests as fun as HF contests are?  I propose that is because
VHF contests are simply HF contests that are "tweaked" for VHF frequencies.  A
whole new world of VHF fun could be opened up if someone would take a moment,
step back and realize what is (or can be) uniquely fun about a VHF contest and
write the rules to exploit it to increase the fun factor.

Ev, W2EV