[VHFcontesting] No Operators or NO Logs ??? (Was Too Many Contests?)

John K9IJ k9ij at vx5.com
Wed Jul 21 22:14:18 EDT 2004

At 09:43 PM 7/21/2004 -0400, R Johnson wrote:
>Hi Tom Ev, Ken et al:
>
>I think it would be an interesting experiment for the League to extract
>ALL of the callsigns from ALL of the logs Received for an individual contest,
>say JAN 2004 VHF SS.
>
>Then compare the list of callsigns extracted against the list of Logs
>Received.
>
>This might provide a better handle on the question of "Lack of
>Participation" or
>"Lack of Log Submission".
>
>This could be the same software that K5ZD uses to create the "master.dta"
>for the
>SCP (Super Check Partial)for the HF contests or what K1TR uses to create
>the SCP
>file for the VHF/UHF contests.
>
>This could be repeated for other VHF+ contests and the results compared.
>
>It would be interesting to see the ratio of Callsigns to Log Submitted !!

Then you might 'read' the report.

Logs vs activity

An analysis of VHF+ logs indicates that the number of logs received is a
good estimate of the total amount of activity, as it is with HF contests.

An analysis of VHF+ logs indicates that the number of logs received is a
good estimate of the total amount of activity, as it is with HF contests.
Looking at log data from the last several years shows that there are about
4500 active stations in the three major VHF contests (but only about 500 in
the UHF contest), and that the amount of activity can be calculated from
the number of logs received. The number of callsigns comes from the actual
log QSO database.

                        Average    Average
     Contest        Entries     Calls         Ratio
UHF-01-02-03     148          506          3.4
Jan-01-02-03-04   803       4014          5.0
Jun-01-02-03       728       5277           7.2
Sep-01-02-03      536       3253           6.1

John - K9IJ

-

John Rice  K9IJ
k9ij at vx5.com