[VHFcontesting] Pre-amp questions

jeff millar wa1hco at adelphia.net
Sun Jul 25 18:06:52 EDT 2004

I made some different choices on my 90 Ft Rohn 25 tower

Most important, bought a house on a hill overlooking a vally in my
primary direction (SSW)

Tied off the top guy 10 ft below the top of the tower to leave room for
H frames with antennas below the top
Placed the tower against the house, short run for feedlines straight
into the shack.
Feed lines come in through 6 inch PVC pipe through hole drilled in
wall.  Enter at ceiling of basement shack
House mount bracket at first point where guys would go.

Water  got into rotor cable at top and ran down though cable and poured
out over shack table, had to put a drip hole in the sheath.

Plan on stacking 432, 1296 antennas vertically using H frame

M2 5 elements on 50, decided against 7 el due to wind load
Cushcraft 13B2 on 144, upgrading to M2 this summerSurplus 7/8  or 1/2
inch heliax for all feedlines
Homemade FO22 on 432

Surplus 7/8  or 1/2 inch heliax for all feedlines
Separate feedlines for each antenna, no preamps (yet)
Preamps create lots of failure modes and introduce connector and jumper loss
Preamps fail a lot due to lightingSurplus 7/8  or 1/2 inch heliax for
all feedlines
Big used  coax seemed like a better choice than complex preamps

With good feedline, preamps on 50 , 144, and 222 MHz just hurt the
dynamic range
Preamp on 432 would probably help a bit, but the station preforms just
as well as the 144 under most propagation

Running the rig barefoot clearly puts me at a disadvantage.  Can't work
WSJT, can't work the weak big gun stations
Will add an 700-1500 Watt amplifier before adding preamps
Antennas may not take take 1500W...need to power divide and stack them

hope this helps...

jeff, wa1hco