[VHFcontesting] RE:pre-amp questions

Gregg Seidl k9kl at direcway.com
Sun Jul 25 21:26:57 EDT 2004

I would have to disagree with Mr.Jeff Millar about pre-amps not helping on
2m,at least here at my station.I use 4 2M-5WL's at 60 feet in a h frame
spaced 12.5 feet square and I can tell you that my SSB Electronics SP-2000
helps a lot.I run 7/8ths inch air Heliax (100 feet) so I have about .75 db
loss measured thru the preamp and about 1 db thru all the phasing lines.I
would suggest purchasing preamps before power amps.In my years of contesting
and just operating it seems half the battle is to hear the other guy so you
know where to point the antennas and then it gets remarkably easy.I will
agree however that at times if there is a VERY loud station near my freq I
turn off the preamp or move my freq.I have done countless tests on EME at
the horizon and the preamp helps every time.I run a Commander II at 750
watts out.6 meters is another story,I don't use and I don't think it would
help any way.222 and up without a doubt no matter what your feedline is a
preamp will help.Not trying to be a smart %$^ just saying what I've learned
here.   Gregg  K9KL