[VHFcontesting] Pre-amp question follow up

jeff millar wa1hco at adelphia.net
Sun Jul 25 22:49:47 EDT 2004

You need a rotor loop to make enable the mast to turn without
resistance.  It's difficult to make a loop with stiff coax and it ends
up too big.  So the tower feedline changes over to something flexible to
make the rotor loop, run up the mast, and out the boom to the driven
element.  This  could be superflex, RG-213 or somthing reasonally
flexible and low loss.  Avoid 9913 or other type of coax that can let
water flow along the length.

I mount the rotor 10 ft below the top, with a 16ft high strength steel
mast, but plan to push it up 5 more feet sometime.

The tower feedlines run up to the top of the tower to minimize the
length of flexible (and small and more lossy) coax.

jeff, wa1hco