[VHFcontesting] CERTIFICATES FOR ARRL SPONSORED VHF CONTESTS?

Rusty Boling deputyb112 at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 28 14:54:44 EDT 2004

For instance, my club, the Ocoee Amateur Radio Society (WD4OAR), shows to
have won 1st place in North Carolina in the Multi-Op class, and 2nd in the
Roanoke Division I think it is according to the info I have seen on the ARRL
webpage.  I have 2 questions.  Question # 1 is have the certificates been
mailed out yet to the contest winners?  Question #2 is, does a Multi-op
qualify for a certificate for getting 1st place in a state in their class or
not?  I know that a single op would.  This is from the ARRL's webpage
concerning certificates:

7. Awards:

7.1. Certificates will be awarded in the following categories.

7.1.1. Top Single Operator High and Single Operator Low power in each
ARRL/RAC Section.

7.1.2. Top Single Operator High and Single Operator Low power on each band
(50, 144, 222, 432, 902, 1296 and 2304-and-up categories) in each ARRL/RAC
Section where significant effort or competition is evident. (Note: Since the
highest score per band will be the award winner for that band, an entrant
may win a certificate with additional single-band endorsements.) For
example, if KA1RWY has the highest single-operator low-power all-band score
in the CT Section and her 50- and 222-MHz scores are higher than any other
CT single operator's, she will earn a certificate for being the
single-operator Section leader and endorsements for 50 and 222 MHz.

7.1.3. Top Single Operator Portable in each ARRL/RAC Section where
significant effort or competition is evident. (Single Operator Portable
entries are not eligible for single-band awards.)

7.1.4. Top rover in each ARRL Division and Canada where significant effort
or competition is evident. (Rover entries are not eligible for single-band
awards.)

7.1.5. Top multi-operator score in each ARRL/RAC Section where significant
effort or competition is evident. (Multioperator entries are not eligible
for single-band awards.)

Top limited multi-operator in each ARRL/RAC Section where significant effort

or competition is evident. (Limited multi-operator entries are not eligible
for single-band awards.)

7.1.6. Top scoring club in each club competition category will be awarded a
gavel.

Doesn't this make you think that my club would qualify for a certificate?  I
am just wanting to make sure that I read the awards section right since I
got nothing in the mail yet and I put my home address.  I am assuming that
it may take longer to get a certificate than QST, right?  If I am wrong,
please set me straight.  Thanks for any assistance.  This was our 1st ever
group effort in a VHF contest and I don't want to be discouraging to other
club members if we were supposed to have received a certificate and we have
not....yet atleast.  We are planning on being in TN this year, even if from
a lower location.