[VHFcontesting] The Rover Resource Page updated!

Tree tree at kkn.net
Tue Jun 8 14:12:51 EDT 2004

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 01:48:41PM -0400, Mike Clarson wrote:

> Art: I'm with you.  I don't see how using HF to coordinate contacts (even if
> a digital mode) is any different than using 2 meters to coordinate microwave
> contacts or running the bands when a new one is worked. Also, an HF radio is
> something that works well from a mobile. I'd bet that most of the microwave
> DX records were coordinated contacts and not chance responses to CQs. In my
> opinion, the way things are going activity wise on VHF, I'd be in favor of
> anything that increases activity, even the telephone!--Mike, WV2ZOW

There are two schools of thought here.  It sort of gets down to putting the
emphasis on VHF or CONTEST.  In most contests, you can decide if your entry
will be a single-op entry (where the operator receives no human assistance
with spotting or logging), or an assisted entry (where the operator does
receive this type of assistance).  Using packet spotting (or other devices
that assist in spotting which have a human element) puts you in the
assisted category.

Perhaps the best solution is to provide both categories, so everyone can
operate the contest the way they want, and can see how their scores rank
compared to others who made the same choice.  That way, guys like me who
want to measure our effort against others who are not using spotting can
feel good, and those who aren't as focused on the individual effort can
take advantage of the information available to make it easier to find the
stations for them to work.

Tree N6TR
tree at kkn.net