[VHFcontesting] The Rover Resource Page updated!

Mike Tessmer mike.tessmer at hillmangroup.com
Tue Jun 8 20:11:04 EDT 2004

> I've thought about tracking rovers for some time.

In the past I've always had reasonable success tracking rovers just by being
aware of who was out there.....knowledged gained by constant presence on the
bands WORKING the contest....calling CQ, tuning around, etc., etc.  Most
rovers publicize their plans somehow....they don't want to go through the
effort and then have no one looking for them.   The group I used to contest
with never had packet or internet access at the station.  We did have a
dedicated crew that really worked at digging out QSOs.  We printed out rover
schedules and had them always at hand.  When we worked rovers we hadn't
known about, we asked about their plans.  When it had been a while since we
last heard a particular rover, we asked others in our area, especially those
that might be closer to the rover, if they had any info.

We almost always worked all the rovers in our area in all their grids.

I don't think one has to rely on clusters, chat rooms, etc., to be
successful in tracking rovers.  One just has to be diligent.

73, Mike K9NW