[VHFcontesting] The eXhibition-Games = Combining UHF+uWave Cume's minus CD9E

John Allen jallen at vhfcom.com
Sat Mar 13 21:21:17 EST 2004

When was the ARRL UHF Contest "born"?

Tks, John, K1AE

mailto:john at pcsupportsolutions.com  978 779-6189 M: 508 361-6229

-----Original Message-----
From: vhfcontesting-bounces at contesting.com
[mailto:vhfcontesting-bounces at contesting.com]On Behalf Of Ev Tupis
Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2004 10:49 AM
To: VHFContesting eMail Remailer; uWave eMail Remailer
Subject: [VHFcontesting] The eXhibition-Games = Combining UHF+uWave
Cume's minus CD9E

Hi Folks,
I've been thinking about the whole pseudo-elimination of the UHF contest
(I'll
explain in a moment) and am starting to see a v-e-r-y interesting thing
emerging: a refocus away from the "new utility bands" and a focus toward the
true pioneer-bands again.

The ARRL's UHF contest was born at a time when UHF meant pioneer, not
appliance.
  Such is no longer the case with UHF operation.

Now...let's, for a moment, suspend our 'outrage' of the rules change
proposal
and think like this ...

Fast forward to a combined "2-GHz and Above Cumulative" and you have the
makings
of simply updating the UHF Contest to meet the reality of today AND
protecting
our interests in the 2-10 GHz range AND an event with very new and very
exciting
possibilities.  Take a moment to put together everything that the ARRL
proposal
(on THIS topic anyway) seems to be putting forward:

o Add a spring weekend to the two late summer weekends
o Add 2.3, 3.4, 5.7 GHz to the event
o Add the UHF contest to the mix, but simply eliminate the bottom three
bands

Now...mix it up with the personality of the "10-GHz and Above Cumulative"
and
you have the makings of an ARRL sponsored:

o Microwave Activity Day (these are gaining popularity on their own!)
o Field Day type event for the non-HFer (Yeah, baby!)
   - a majority of us are going out to hilltops anyway!
   - given the large numbers of remote operations, participants should be
given
     PR bonus points, just like Field Day
   - given the narrow beamwidths here, assistance should not only be
allowed,
     but encouraged.
   - Category designations based on bands activated, operating status
     (remote-fixed, rover or home) and number of operators.  3B1 could mean
     3-bands, Rover, 1-Operator. :)))
o Pioneer-encouraging "eXtreme games"-type event (double-yeah baby!)
   - In fact, I'd suggest we call them the eXhibition Games (our own
X-Games!)
   - We'd be exhibiting not only our technical abilities to each other as we
     operate, but doing so in the public eye (as we operate from hilltops
and
     building tops).

Such a repackaged (and new) event could (if done correctly) do wonders for
our
facet of the hobby.

Regards,
Ev, W2EV