[VHFcontesting] 2004 Spring Microwave Sprint (Ouch)

Steve Gilmore - W4SHG shg at staffnet.com
Sun May 2 08:12:20 EDT 2004

Well guys from the W4SHG portable Microwave Report.

The day started early, 3:30am to get food, gas and make the 1:45 trek to
FM08TN Skyline Drive.
Worked all day the day before putting, or should I say cobbleing, the system
together. I hoped to have the following:

144.260 - Listening Coordination
903.110 - Down East Xverter and 150watt 26 volt brick Amp to a Directive
Systems Looper 16 elements
1296.110 - ICOM 910H + 50 watt DL2AM Brick to phased M2 22 Element Yagis
2304.110 - DB6NT Transverter with 50 watt Brick to a 3 foot Dish Linear Fed
(23dbd)
3456.110 - DB6NT Transverter with 55 watt PyroJoe to a 3 foot Dish Linear
Fed (25dbd)

All of this was tested the day before the contest.

Got to the spot, set up, got all the antennas up on the Rohn Tower on the
back of the vehicle. Wired everything the night before plugged it up and
thought I was ready. Went to the front of the car to get some coffee and saw
the back was filled with smoke. (Ahrg). Spilled the coffee, ran to the back
to find some wiring snaphoo with the 900 system and the 24 volt crap so that
was down and out. Not to worry, a bit angry but not deterred, I continued to
work the other bands in a quite unprofessional manner. I had to flip three
switches in sequence to move bands. Very messy but I really didn't get the
antennas until the day before. This was really a rush to get something put
together.

Things were going fine then I found that the rig had a 1/8 inch keyer plug
not 1/4. Hmm no problem I had an adapter. Wrong the 817 IF just sent
constant dits. Ok, I can rewire this when the keyer decided it wanted
nothing to do with rewiring and flew out of the door on to the asphault were
it simply disintegrated. OK, lets not get to mad and continue. I worked a
few guys and could have worked more if the dam keyer worked. I even tried
the old Chrisophe (W3IY) trick of whistleing CW. That went over like passing
gas in church.

The good news is that the 3.456 transverter and antenna worked very well, as
did the 2304, 1200 systems. The 1200 was an ICOM 910H with the brick the
others were and 817 to transverters. About 10:30 when I was just getting
rolling N3NGE was in the chute and I could hear him 20+ on 2304 but couldn't
work him. Then the same on 3.456. OK no big deal then W3IY 25 minutes North
of me on the mountain same thing. What now.

The Transverter 817 had no power output, the meter showed juice but nothing
from the so239 connector. Then the little bastard wouldn't key at all. Hand
Mic / Headset nothing. I am looking at it now and not in a good way. At this
point a major decision had to be made. One does this 817 stay in the woods
up there in the mountain, and should I stay and continue on 1200 only.

Well the result, with no coffee and only one useable band left, pack it up
and go the hell home, tail between my legs if you will.

Guess what, still had fun and as Arnold would say, "I'll be Back"

The miserable SSB Totals

Band   Contacts	Grids
903    0		0		** Fixed it - It's already back on the Air ..... **
1296	 10         7
2304   7		5
3456   2          2

Sorry guys that's all this Technican had in him and my patience went South.

On a serious note, thanks to all who worked me or attempted to work me as
clearly my act was not together during this event. I decided to drive up
North a bit and see Bill - W3IY and the monster rover. Now there is a hard
act to follow.

See some of you on the 6 meter sprint, Saturday 5/8/2004 as I will probably
be at home in FM18 for that one.

See you all in the June QSO Party if not earlier.

73 de W4SHG
Always Listening