[VHFcontesting] Renewing Interest in VHF Contesting

Ev Tupis w2ev at arrl.net
Sat May 8 10:04:40 EDT 2004

It's been a while since we've had something to get the blood pumping about so
here goes...

 From the ARRL Letter:
==>LOGBOOK OF THE WORLD DXCC CREDITS SYSTEM RENEWING DXCC ENTHUSIASM

The DXCC credits component of ARRL's Logbook of the World (LoTW)
<http://www.arrl.org/lotw> secure contact database got off to an
enthusiastic and busy start Thursday, May 6--a day later than planned.
ARRL Membership Services Manager Wayne Mills, N7NG, says the
much anticipated LoTW DXCC component not only is making it easier for
members to apply QSO credits to their DXCC records, it seems to be
renewing overall interest in the DXCC program.

 From the thoughts of Ev Tupis, W2EV:
One can only wonder what the effect would be on the popularity of a VHF contest
that *required* electronic submission of logs within 30-days of the close of the
event and then published the results three months later as a QST recap (as
normal) and an online line listing that coincides with the QST publication.

Paper logs could still be listed as "paper logs" in a different section but not
eligible for awards.  OK paper loggers feel free to beat me up about this, but
before you do, read on...

Imagine r-e-s-u-l-t-s for January being printed in May (just in time to pump you
up for the June contest!).  Imagine the results from September and the
(obviously about to be) repackaged uWave Cumulatives being printed in December
(just in time to pump you up for January!).

Don't reply right away.  Think about a contesting world like this and all of the
very nice benefits that such a system would allow including the lowered
processing costs at the ARRL (allowing more resources to go toward spectrum
defense, etc.) and the more timely reporting of our activity.

Regards to all,
Ev Tupis, W2EV