[VHFcontesting] OT: HF Contests and WARC Bands

John Geiger johngeig at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 9 19:04:29 EST 2004

I thought one of the main reasons was because of the
narrowness of the bands.  Can you imagine trying to
cram contesting into the 50khz of 30 meters.  Also, 30
meters was initially a shared band, and it was the
first of the 3 WARC bands to be open to hams.  Some of
you may remember that when it was first open hams were
not allowed in the 10.109 to 10.115 segment.  Due to
this secondary nature, contesting and awards chasing
was not permitted to help limit any interference we
may cause.  The limits on awards chasing were later
lifted by the ARRL.

Also, for a few years 12 and 17 meter QSOs were
permitted during field day.

One thing I always wonder about nowdays are the
contest rules that say 160-10 meters except for the
WARC bands.  That wording allows contest QSOs on 60
meters because it isn't a WARC band.

73s John NE0P