[VHFcontesting] Aurora

Carrington, Walter Walter.Carrington at umassmed.edu
Wed Nov 10 16:53:27 EST 2004

Yes!!!  I only made 2 qsos yesterday (Nov. 9) but one, N0PB, was EM39 -> FN42,  over 1000 miles.
Nov 7, I worked more QSOs but none so far.  Both nights I heard, but did not work, W0VB also over 1000 miles.  There were long periods of hearing nothing,  then all of a sudden a bunch of dx.
Check:
http://hfradio.org/visual_propagation.html
Look at the dial.  If the Bz dial is pointing > 90 degrees,  the magnetic lines of force are pointing into the earth and aurora should increase.
Check:  http://dxworld.com/144prop.html    for propagation reports.
Check:  http://aurora.n1bug.net/

--Walter, K1CMF  2 meters, 100 watts,  17b2 at 12' off ground at 1300' asl.

KA2IVS said: >The last few days have seen K indices off the scale with visible auroras as