[VHFcontesting] Contest scoring question

K3uhf at aol.com K3uhf at aol.com
Sun Oct 10 22:16:51 EDT 2004

Thanks,

The Max distance multiplier is 10. Therefore the biggest points you could get
would be 60 if one of the stations are in the rarest of grids. 20 if they are
is NYC and LA.  I am considering this to reflect the longest typical ssb or
cw contact @ 800-900 miles.  I like the nonsked idea but its impossible to
enforce so you may as well encourage it so everyone does it.  This contest may go
for a week so long wsjt contacts will be an opportunity for every one.  The
length is undecided. But an operator may choose a set time category for
competition, perhaps 2 entrees as well in different time periods or locations.  There
had been some input on this a few months ago,  many people work different
shifts and only get the sprints to compete.

Es skips should be fair game for everyone in at least the region of the
e-skip, therefore if the South gets an opening all of the South will have bigger
scores. A week long contest may give an opportunity for many.  One could wait
for an e-skip opening and start their own contest time then.  I would encourage
people to work others when not contesting as well to hand out points. Anyway
that's up in the air somewhat....

Rarity is based on the ham per grid square population density map.  It is an
exponential curve, but I put a somewhat linear scoring system on it. The level
6 squares have very few hams in it.  I figure big city hams have a lot of big
city noise, cc&rs et... Clubs that recruited now deadwood hams that never got
on the air et...  Retirees often migrate to sum of the rare grids too, and
there are more old hams than young hams.  However so many went to Arizona it
isn't rare down there hi-hi.  There are level 5 and 6 grids in the East and a lot
of level 4 grids.

You can generate a map here that will show population density by grids 4 or 6
letter/number.  It does a lot of neat stuff and should be handy.
http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml

Actually its good to hear from an expert on this.

Winners will still be by division so band conditions will not be a giant
factor. I don't think there will be any national award based on score.  However a
list of top 10 longest qsos per band nationally.

I intend to tweak the drafts and I think the multi-op multiple qso thisng is
dead. I have yet to hear a good thing on that. I think each station in a
multi-op winning will get an award and that's that. Let the teams be teams.

Also, I post alot of this to spur interest if you made it this far you must
be a little bit interested.  Any links to euopean contests will be helpfull.

73s and thank you

k3uhf/frank